If you're retired: Early Retirement Plan Payout Means Tax DecisionsSearch for your credit union
Home Insurance Investments My Services Resource Center
Forms & FAQs Contact Us Sign In

Retirement is just one of many events that can trigger a retirement plan distribution -- changing jobs, getting laid off, or losing a job due to a merger or acquisition are just a few other examples. Today, it is not unusual for a person who is years away from retirement to suddenly find him- or herself with a lump-sum retirement plan payout of $50,000, $100,000, or more.

If you receive an early distribution of your retirement plan funds, you have to make some important decisions about what to do with your money. Income-tax considerations may play a large role in this process.

Immediate and Full Taxation

The first alternative requires you to include the entire taxable amount in your income in the year you receive it. That amount is taxed at your ordinary income-tax rate.

Note that where the distribution takes place before age 59-1/2, the distribution may also be subject to a 10% early withdrawal penalty in addition to income taxes. There are a number of exceptions to the penalty, however.


Another alternative is to "roll over" the taxable portion of the lump-sum distribution to an Individual Retirement Account (or a new employer's eligible plan). You won't owe any tax or penalty on the amount distributed until it is withdrawn from the rollover IRA or plan. Earnings on the rolled-over distribution continue to be tax-deferred. But you must make the rollover within 60 days after your payout, or you forfeit your ability to do so. Therefore, you must decide fast what tax route you want to follow.

Be aware that distributions other than lump-sum distributions also may qualify for rollover treatment. An "eligible rollover distribution" is defined as any distribution from a tax-qualified plan other than: (1) one of a series of annuity payments made at least once a year for life; (2) one of a series of substantially equal payments made at least annually over a specified period of ten years or longer; or (3) a required minimum distribution made after age 70 1/2.

All eligible rollover distributions are subject to a 20% withholding tax unless the distribution is directly transferred from the paying plan to the rollover IRA or plan. Thus, if you want to roll over your distribution, you should arrange with the paying plan for a direct transfer. If you receive the money, even if you intend to roll it over, withholding is mandatory. While the withheld amount may be refundable to you on filing your tax return, you could be left in a situation where you need to make up the withheld 20% from other funds in order to make a full rollover within the 60-day period.

Determining the most favorable tax treatment is just the first step. Often -- especially where a distribution has been rolled over to an IRA -- the investment of the fund is left in the hands of the recipient. Investment decisions should be carefully thought out. You may not need the money for retirement for 10, 20, or more years. How you invest the money and the annual investment return you earn can have a dramatic effect on the sum eventually available at retirement time. For this reason, professional investment advice is recommended.



Article is for educational purposes only and is not intended to provide specific tax or legal advice. For answers to tax questions, please see your tax professional. For legal questions, consult an attorney.

Representatives are registered, securities are sold, and investment advisory services offered through CUNA Brokerage Services, Inc. (CBSI), member FINRA/SIPC, a registered broker/dealer and investment advisor, 2000 Heritage Way, Waverly, Iowa 50677, toll-free (800) 369-2862. Nondeposit investment and insurance products are not federally insured, involve investment risk, may lose value and are not obligations of or guaranteed by the financial institution. CBSI is under contract with the financial institution, through the financial services program, to make securities available to members. CUNA Brokerage Services, Inc., is a registered broker/dealer in all fifty states of the United States of America. The Representative may also be a credit union employee that accepts deposits on behalf of the financial institution.

VeriSign Seal

©CUNA Mutual Group 2015

Page Source URL: http://members.cunamutual.com/Educationcenter/FinLibView.asp?ART_ID=13784&SITE=99999999